Saturday, April 16, 2011

Freedom Lives Here -How good it is to be free

I'm almost 30 years old. OK not really. I've just hit the 28 1/2 mark, so I am nearing the end of my twenties, and I feel that a certain chapter in my life is coming to a close. Really it can't close quickly enough for me, but I know there are still a few lessons to be learned before I can close the book that was my twenties and get on with it already!
If you know me at all you know the past few years have been very dramatic. Up and down, high and low, sink or swim. The down, low and sink parts are what I want to close away and forget about, but if I forget about them, I know that the next chapter or book of my life will probably just be a repeat of the last one. I have finally gotten to a point where I can be honestly grateful for what I have learned from all of my experiences (note: I did not say grateful FOR the experiences. I am not, and probably never will be grateful for some of those), and I am almost ready to forgive myself for all of the mistakes I have made. I mean, what's the point of holding a grudge against myself, holding myself in contempt and resenting my own happiness when the Living God who created me and saved me views me as whole, redeemed and free?
Here's the way I see it lately. The redeemed, whole and free part doesn't change on a daily basis. My to-do list changes, and the checks I get to mark off on that list changes, but my status in the eyes of my Father doesn't. Even if I don't get to put any check mark on my list at all.
I learned to have perfectionist mindsets, impossibly high standards, and critical judgement of most things that don't go my way.  I also tend to perform very low according to my standards.  I've spent years and years laying out all my measuring cups and pouring myself in, only to come up 1/2 cup short.  Its a plague, really. It puts one in such a dark state of mind.
It's not about not reaching my goals, or not having high standards. I am learning that those can become my good qualities, and not bad ones, once I take to heart that the power to achieve excellence is already in me-its the same power that raised Christ from the dead. Whew, no pressure on me anymore! The power comes from God.   Each day is new, with new mercy...I will greet each day with a forgiving spirit, and I will first forgive myself, so that I am free to forgive others all day long.

1 comment:

  1. HUG.

    growing up comes with growing pains. take it in stride, learn from it, and let love reside. God's grace and mercy is sweet, so don't worry about those measuring cups (i do the same thing). instead, just be a cup that's being poured into. if you place yourself under God's grace and love, you'll just overflow.

    i guess that's it.

    PS - 30's are the new 20's. at least, that's what i'm telling myself. i'm nearing it too.

    ReplyDelete