Friday, April 29, 2011

Oh, Now I Remember!

I've been working on a special blog post (which you will see soon) and began searching through my old notebooks and journals from college. I found some journals that are 11 years old! One in particular excited me; it was from a creative writing class I took my freshman year at Central Michigan University. It had to be my favorite elective class (hands down!) but I all but completely forgot about it! Some of my writing assignments (complete with my professor Eric Togerson's raving reviews, I might add) were in the journal, and I'm so impressed with myself (haha) that I am going to share some of these poems with you.  Enjoy. *These are all dated spring of 2001.*

I
want
to share with
you a special picture.
Come, look over here, in this
window, through the lace and sparkling
clean glass. Behind us the sun hasn't begun to 
set, yet but beyond the window ensues a race against time.
You see a mother and her children scurrying around the house, everyone with a job to do,
all of them working as though the Queen of England were coming to examine their
home. You see the mother going from room to room, supervising the children
and the chores, and preparing the dinner. For a while it seems as though 
the house gets messier before it gets cleaner, but in a big house like 
this, that's how it is. What are they preparing for? There is a 
word for it, Shabbat, Sabbath, the day of rest. Everything must be
ready for Shabbat. When the father returns home from shul, the whole
house is in order, the dinner is ready, and two special loaves of lovely braided
bread, Hallah, are on the table beside the glass of wine and the two tall beautiful
white candles. The weariness of the week melts away, and a peaceful spirit descends on 
the family gathering around the table. We can't see inside 
the window very well because the sun has set. When 
three stars appear above, the mother lights the
two white candles, and the father blesses 
the wine and the bread and gathers 
his children and wife around 
so he can give a blessing to
each one in
love





No comments:

Post a Comment