Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hero For A Day: Zeke Burns

January 19

I'm not sure if you can see what I see here, a strong, tough, forgiving young man. This post is not the place to rehash all that he's been through, but one thing should be clear; Zeke knows what it means to "let it go". Human beings are all different. Some let the bad things that happen to them dictate the course the rest of their life takes. They dwell on what has happened in the past because they've given up ownership of their thoughts and feelings to the past. I can tell from talking to Zeke and talking to the people who live with him that he doesn't brood over the aches and pains of his childhood. He seems to realize, although he only just turned 16, that what lies ahead of him is disinterested in what lies behind him.
He used to call me Mama Kathy. Ok who am I kidding, he still does. And you know what, I'll always be his Mama Kathy. I was 12 when he was born, and we had an immediate mother/son attachment, born out of necessity. I left home for college when he was only 5, barely able to stand missing him and Elizabeth so much. He went to live with my aunt and uncle a few years ago, and I think he has tried to listen to them and to really let go of the past. They've told me time and again how much he has grown up.
My hopes and prayers for Zeke is that he will continue to be a positive person, will always forgive those who wrong him so that he can be free from whatever they have done, and will remember how much God loves him. And how much I love him. Happy Birthday Zeke!

No comments:

Post a Comment